Sunday, March 13, 2005

Even Mosquitoes Were Turned On By Ms. Norah Jones

Norah Jones in ManilaSoulful.

If there's one word to describe what last night's show was, it would be --- soulful.

Last night, multi-Grammy winner Norah Jones came and performed for the first time in Manila. The venue was the Araneta Coliseum in remodeled Cubao, Quezon City. I was able to go and watch because of surprise tickets courtesy of my dear soulmate.

The show began when it was nearly 8:30pm, and the VIP and VVIP (that's very, very important people) seats were hardly filled up. 'Talk about Filipinos and their concept of punctuality. The lights were doused off, and only the blue light tone of the stage remained visible.

Norah Jones came out after being introduced and sat on the grand piano to begin.

"Mabuhay!" was her first word of the evening before she began singing her opening song Turn Me On. Her rendition was more beautiful than the one in her CD. Next came Nightingale and What I Am To You from her second album. The applause was profuse and generous making her utter a hesitant "Salamat," (thank you) which further endeared her to the audience.

She was lively and vibrant, although occasionally bothered by the large screen monitor in which she saw herself perform, and was used for the benefit of those seated at the back and the bleachers.

She was so good even the mosquitoes were turned on by her. Flailing her arms to keep buzzing mosquitoes at bay, she played the piano as she sang a very smooth and extended version of The Nearness of You. It was very romantic. Hoagy Carmichael would surely acclaim and want to hear her version of this wonderful song.

All familiar hits in her two CDs were heard: the haunting I've Got To See You Again, the enchanting Come Away With Me, the lively Sunrise, the introspective The Prettiest Thing, and the reflective Humble Me. Her What I Am To You? took me to the first day I fell in love. Each song was an experience. You can almost feel yourself soaring to the seventh heaven as she whisks you away to each song's setting.

I'm been a fan of Norah Jones way, way back when it wasn't even cool to be described as one. One fine lazy Sunday afternoon in September 2002, I was testing new CDs in the QA branch of Tower Records when I chanced upon her Come Away With Me album and that was it. I was stuck with her. When she won multiple Grammys in 2003, I knew that was the end of my unique love affair with her. She is now everyone's favorite singer, and judging from the crowd at the Coliseum last night, I know I'm right.

We were treated to Norah's brand of humor when she talked about her experience with Elmo of Sesame Street.
"Anybody here know what Sesame Street is all about? I was supposed to have a date with the letter Y, but he stood me up. In the show, I sang to Elmo, going Don't Know Why, Y Didn't Come...so every time I perform Don't Know Why, I am terrified that I'd sing the wrong lyrics..."
Her Handsome Band also let its presence felt as we were treated to cool guitar works by Robbie McIntosh and Adam Levy. Her boyfriend bassist Lee Alexander (shown above in the picture with her) was also a revelation. Drummer Andrew Borger was electric as he worked the drums like he was on fire. Norah's long-time friend and vocalist Daru Oda played the flute and was also replendent as she sang and danced with Norah.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBefore calling it a night, she also revisited Gram Parson's memory by singing a truly magnificent version of She that was so good it nearly brought me to tears. I've always been a fan of Willie Nelson when it comes to country music, but her rendition made me want to have a second look at Gram Parson's other works.

Her last piece was the bouncy and blithesome Ooh Las Vegas from the Gp/Grievous Angel album of Gram Parsons. It was so good that Norah was able to make some of the high-and-mighty moguls of the VVIP seats stand up and dance to the tune.

There were three encores as Filipinos are not known to leave concerts without extra heapings. Norah was pleasing enough to oblige and the audience wasn't disappointed as she gave a more aperitive version of Come Away With Me and two other sentimental songs.

Norah sounded disappointed when she mentioned that she had only one concert for Manila this year, but she said she'd be very happy to come back.

I can't wait for that day.

7 comments:

rolly said...

I totally freaking missed it! Sayang. I should've joined you guys. Tahimik lang naman ako pag nanonood ng concert.

Toni said...

Great review, Doc! I was there at the concert too and enjoyed every minute of it. She was so funny when a guy from the Upper Box shouted "I LOVE YOU NORAH!!!" and she went, "Don't hurt yourself, man."

She was so cool!

Dr. Emer said...

Tito Rolly: I was also surprised myself. I only knew around 5pm that afternoon. My soulmate's really good with surprises.

Toni: Where were you seated? Yes, I heard the heckler too. Norah was so cool. She handled it real well. I wish she'd be back soon!

tintin said...

I want to see her in concert too. Actually I would love to see her in a small, intimate venue, that would be great. Poor Norah getting swarmed by mosquitoes. Heheh.

Anonymous said...

ya, got to watch the concert too, thru the kindness of my bro-in-law rick. we were expecting a subdued reaction from the audience considering norah's mellow tunes. but heck, it was one appreciative, enthusiastic audience. norah and her band was great and so was the crowd that watched. we filipinos really know how to please and have a good time at the same time. yeah! road rat from baguio

Dr. Emer said...

TinTin: I'd prefer to see her perform in a more intimate and smaller venue, too --- if there will be a next time.

RoadRat from Baguio: Well, you know Filipinos. Other than hospitality, enthusiasm is our next best quality. It overflows most of the time. For a while there, you'd think it was a pop or a rock concert.

Jdavies said...

Uy! i was there... I like her sesame street joke... and this mosquito incident hahaha...

the way her skirt flowed with all that jazz is really captivating too!!