Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Neil Gaiman for President

Neil Gaiman of the Sandman fame is was in Manila. He was here from July 9 to 11, and he had some amusing comments on his stay here:
"In the Philippines, the people are enthusiastic on a level that makes the Brazilians look reserved and polite. They shout very loudly when they're happy, too. There's a noise that a few thousand of the locals make when they all shout at once to let you know they're happy to see you that made me finally understand the idea of a wall of sound..." - July 9 quote

"I don't think I've ever been more exhausted at any point in a signing tour than I am right now. (Having said that, I don't remember ever having felt so loved by so many people.) But I get to sleep until I wake up and that's so good..."

"PS. I think I'm now addicted to calamansi juice." --- July 11 quote

[Neil Gaiman's Journal]

During his last two days, I have estimated that he averages about 550 book-signings per day. He is very popular with local geeks like me. So, with that in mind, I thought of a strategy of going on a Monday (I took a half-day off) with a working assumption the his batting average might be reduced somewhat because people will either be at work or in school. Was I wrong! There were still more than 500 people who had their stuff signed yesterday.

Here's my adventure with Neil Gaiman in pictures and why I think he should be President.
1. First stop was the Greenhills press conference and writer's forum which was by invitation only. I got to join this event through the help of my soulmate.




2. The Greenhills forum was held at the Music Museum. The place was jampacked.


3. Neil answered questions diligently. This is where I learned that he liked Daniel Pinkwater. That when he writes, he prefers solitude and silence. He says by being silent for a long time, one becomes bored, and when bored, the mind operates creatively. He got the inspiration of writing American Gods while lying still on his bed for a long time. He said that he began writing Anansi Boys (to be released September 2005) while drinking the worst tea at a bar somewhere in Iceland. I also learned that he loves writing using colored fountainpens instead of word processors.


4. We left for Fullybooked Bookstore in Gateway Mall in Cubao, QC., to be early for the book signing. We arrived there around 3:30pm and this was what greeted us. The orange arrow points to the front of the bookstore and the yellow arrow points to what we thought was the end of the line.


5. What we thought was the end of the line was actually a long snake of Neil Gaiman fans that stretched through Stairway 1....


6. ...and Stairway 2....


7. ...and along the sidewalks outside(!!!) of the Mall building.


8. Finally, we found the end of the line near the MRT Line 2 Araneta-Cubao Station. There we were pleased to meet James and Miggey who were the last two people in the long snake of people we tracked from the Mall to the sidewalks. Neil Gaiman, Manila fans love you this much!


9. 4pm....5pm....6pm....7pm.....we were still outside the Mall, along the sidewalks, and enjoying the heat of the sun and the air pollution....people were starting to make friends....and making calls to other friends who might still want to catch Neil on his last day in Manila...




10. This is Mr. Daez, the accomodating and kind owner of Fullybooked bookstore who periodically came out to check out on us, count how many we were, and put us on some sort of cliffhanger because he couldn't give us an assurance right away that Neil Gaiman can still see us. My soulmate and I were fan numbers 508 and 509, respectively.


11. By 8pm going 9pm, we were finally beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel, and were actually becoming more confident that Neil might be able to accomodate us.


12. By 9pm, we finally reached the bookstore and I observed Neil was getting tired. His head was probably whirling now considering he has signed more than 500 items already. He sure has good hands and fingers! I was already proposing to my friends that perhaps it might be better if he just thumbmarked our items instead. It will be easier for him and for us. Well, so much for my bright idea.


13. In spite of hunger and exhaustion, he continued smiling, signing, and shaking hands with people. He even apologized to us for making us wait so long in line. Mr. Daez was right. Neil Gaiman is truly a people-person.


14. He always made sure the fans left the store with happy hearts.


15. Finally, it was my turn....


16. ...and soulmate's, too!


17. My Neil-Gaiman signed book!


18. For those who didn't have any Neil Gaiman item, Fullybooked had on display for sale some of Neil's hot works:


19. INTERMISSION-- On one corner of the bookstore, I saw stacks and stacks of boxes like these. Perhaps the big event next week?


20. After we had our items signed, we said goodbye to our new friends who are all proud owners of Neil Gaiman-signed works like Marvel 1602, the first issue of Preludes and Nocturnes, and The Wolves in the Walls.
Now, before I forget....why Neil Gaiman for President, instead of you-know-who? Well, because Neil Gaiman has a good heart. He truly cares for people. He knows how to sacrifice and emphatize when he sees other people sacrificing along with him. He also knows the value of an apology. He apologized for making us wait for hours. That kind of humility soothes the nerves of equally tired people like us.

Another reason? He's very popular.

Of course, don't take all these too seriously. We all know that this person won't resign. At least, that's what she says.

BOTTOMLINE: Neil Gaiman is not just a great writer. He is also a good man. These days, that is a rarity. Especially in celebrities and....(ho-hum!) politicians.

8 comments:

loryces said...

nice kwento manong! nice pics too! borrow ako ng mga quotes and pics ok? i'm organizing a hodgepodge of links re: neil's signings. i want to relive the memories although that seems dorky dahil wala naman ako dyan. hehe.

Dr. Emer said...

Be my guest, Lau. I know how you love Neil, too. :)

sharima said...

ok ang adventure mo doc! Buti n lang you have the patience to wait, I can just imagine the long line saturday re HBP launching. hehehe. I guess I have to read neil gaiman's work soon.

Unknown said...

hi doc!

i just saw your pics and i think i saw u in the writers' forum. forgive me when i didn't smile at you at that time. i was just not sure... teka, ikaw nga ba talaga yun? can u remember? :)

Dr. Emer said...

Alchemist2: Read Gaiman, and be hooked!

Freyja: Are you the lovely lady in green? Who walked the sidewalks and the stairways with us, braving the sun's heat and the air pollution? I can't forget what I did for Gaiman.

You can get these pics, of course. I have lots more in my folder. Write me at doc.emer at gmail dot com. I'll send them to you.

Wow! Wait 'til soulmate hears this!
Serendipity talaga! =)

galenlondeien: Were you the lovely lady sitting beside us at the forum? Holy guacamole! Sorry also, if I didn't say hello. Moon child ka din pala. Nice meeting you! =)

loryces said...

hey may mga pics ka pa? send mo rin sa kin! loryces @ gmail po ;)

Dr. Emer said...

I just sent it, Lau. Did you get it?

roni_bats said...

Doc Emer,

Nakikibasa. Saturday ako pumunta, kahit may IM exam ako nung Monday. Nasa Rockwell ako from 9 to 9, hehe.

roni_bats here. Gaiman fan at UP med student.